I remember watching a movie sometime back called “The Bucket List”, starring Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman. Besides being an awesome movie it taught me one thing:
To Have A Bucket List!
Most of you may be aware what a Bucket List is, however, some of us may not be as enlightened.
A bucket list is a list which you make listing all the things that you want to do before you leave this world.
The list that these two old guys had in this movie consisted of the following:
- Witness something truly majestic
- Help a complete stranger for the good
- Laugh till I cry
- Drive a Shelby Mustang
- Kiss the most beautiful girl in the world
- Get a tattoo
- Visit Stonehenge
- Spend a week at the Louvre
- See Rome
- Dinner at La Chevre d’Or
- See the Pyramids
- Get back in touch (previously “Hunt the big cat,” added after being earlier added and crossed off)
- Visit the Taj Mahal
- Hong Kong
- Victoria Falls
- Go on a safari
- Drive a motorcycle on the Great Wall of China
- Sit on the Great Egyptian Pyramids
- Find the Joy in your life
You must be wondering why am I talking about it.
I have always thought that if you don’t dream, you don’t achieve.
I would take this bucket list as my dream….rather goal (Goals are dreams with a deadline!). And see where I go from here.
So if you had 15-20 most apparently obnoxious things written on YOUR Bucket List what will happen?
You might do most of them, or SOME of them… But there is no chance that you won’t even attempt a few of them, right?
Those of you who are fortunate enough to have a bucket list made…no matter when, hats off to you. But don’t forget to look it up and amend a few things once in a while. You will be surprised what wonders this simple list could bring to your life.
And now for those who never had this list made… Reasons (read rationalization!) could be:
no time, busy, too tied up in day to day affairs, busy in making a career first, there are more important things to do…. et al.
Let me tell you, tomorrow never comes. This is YOUR life…
And life is a journey…. Not a destination.
I created a list like this one less than three years back. You’d be surprised to know, I have already achieved or attempted more than 50% of it. And now I have added more items to it…I keep a copy of it everywhere I go…
Try to write one….It doesn’t cost anything!
What you need to do is:
1. Get a paper and pen.
2. Sit in place where you wouldn’t be disturbed for at least an hour.
3. Close your eyes and start (day) dreaming.Of all the good things in life that you’d like to do, be or have.
4. Write down whatever comes to mind.
5. Try not to cross an item no matter how far-fetched it sounds.
6. Try NOT to rationalize even a single thing.
7. Repeat this once a week… Or max once a month.
I promise you will surprise yourself.
We human beings have unlimited potential but most of us give up without even playing the game!
Have an extraordinary life!
Dare to dream!
Follow your passion!