I read a simple but life-changing book called ‘Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…And It’s ALL Small Stuff” by Richard Carlson. To say the least, it changed the way I looked at things – forever.
I recommend this book to anyone who tries and lives ‘life’ – or whatever is left of it – and is constantly dissatisfied, demotivated, hurt, confused with whatever is happening around us.
Some of the tips that I really loved in the books were:
1. Don’t sweat the small stuff…Of course! That’s the underlying idea! We tend to get worked up on petty stuff which shouldn’t matter. Ask yourself: ‘Will this matter a year from now?’
2. Let go of the notion that gentle, relaxed people can’t be super achievers. A more relaxed individual is more creative, motivated and is able to accomplish more.
3. Let others be ‘right’ most of the time. Stop yourself from correcting someone.
4. Become more patient. Let the other person overtake your vehicle and…smile.
5. Let go of your expectations: Frustrations are caused by expecting from someone.
6. If someone throws a ball at you, you don’t have to catch it! Don’t get worked up at anything and everything someone says to you or about you.
7. Remind yourself that when you die your ‘inbox’ won’t be empty. There is more to life than making sure every item in your to-do list is accomplished.
8. Do something nice for someone else… And don’t tell anyone!
9. Spend everyday thinking of someone to thank. Of course, God comes first! But DO thank people around you.
10. Set aside quiet time for yourself – every day.
11. Repeat to yourself “Life isn’t an emergency”!
12. Become aware of your moods and don’t allow yourself to be fooled by the low ones.
13. Praise and blame are all the same. You can’t please all the people all the time. Don’t resent disapproval.
14. Everyday, tell at least one person something you like, admire or appreciate about them.
15. Be grateful when you are feeling good and graceful when you are feeling bad.
16. Turn your melodrama into Mellow Drama!
These are only a few of the gems in the book.
I suggest you buy and read the book. You could always keep it with you and read a chapter to steer the course of your life when needed.
I will try and share more gems in another post.
Richard died in 2006. Please pray for his soul. His wife, Kristine, has now taken the responsibility of making the world a better place. Visit their website http://dontsweat.com/ for more resources.
Dare to dream – but BE HAPPY!
Happiness depends upon ourselves. (Aristotle)
Have a remarkable life!